How Do I Get My Pesticide License?

— Written By Kelsey Lichtenwalner and last updated by Maryanna Waters
en Español / em Português

El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.

Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.


Inglês é o idioma de controle desta página. Na medida que haja algum conflito entre o texto original em Inglês e a tradução, o Inglês prevalece.

Ao clicar no link de tradução, um serviço gratuito de tradução será ativado para converter a página para o Português. Como em qualquer tradução pela internet, a conversão não é sensivel ao contexto e pode não ocorrer a tradução para o significado orginal. O serviço de Extensão da Carolina do Norte (NC State Extension) não garante a exatidão do texto traduzido. Por favor, observe que algumas funções ou serviços podem não funcionar como esperado após a tradução.


English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.

Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.

Collapse ▲

Anyone who wishes to apply restricted-use pesticides (Grazon, Prowl, etc.) requires certification through the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (NCDA&CS). Certification is given after applicants pass required exam(s).

What type of exam and how many you take depends on what type of pesticide license you would like to have. There are two categories for certification and licensing:

PRIVATE APPLICATORS – those who apply pesticides only on their property.

Private Applicator license requires passing a 50 question exam and a $10 exam fee. Exams can be taken up to 3 times a year. Once you have passed the exam, you will then be a certified applicator for 3 years with a recertification fee of $10 every 3 years.

COMMERCIAL APPLICATORS – those who can make custom applications for others on property they do not own.

Commercial Applicator license is a more rigorous exam and has several different subcategories (view a full list). No matter which commercial subcategory you would like to be certified in, you will first need to pass a 100 question core exam.

Study Materials

It is highly recommended to study the NC Pesticide Applicator Core Manual before taking the exam. The Core Manual mail order form can be found Google Drive or purchased online.

Exam Schedule & Registration

NCDA&CS offers the pesticide applicator exams year-round. View the pesticide exam schedule and register online for the exam.

Already Have a Pesticide License?

License Status Search

To see when your license expires and credits earned click here. Search your name as it is on your license (Last Name, First Name).

Continuing Education Credit Classes

To see upcoming pesticide classes for your license type click here.

Recertification Credit Requirements

To see how many credits are required for your license type click here.

If you have any questions, please contact Maryanna Waters at (252) 459-9810.

Events happening at N.C. Cooperative Extension, Nash County Center